Home Remedies to Get rid of Bad Breath or Halitosis
Bad breath, also called halitosis, can be an embarrassing problem. It can be caused by the foods you eat, dry mouth, tobacco products, or a medical disorder. Maintaining proper oral health can help reduce or eliminate bad breath.
Read more on Halitosis Treatment and Home Remedies for Bad Breath and Gingivitis Treatment
Causes of halitosis
Halitosis affects all people, at some point in their lives. However, halitosis cure only becomes a problem if it is for a prolonged period or if it is caused by other medical conditions. Transient bad breath is the term given to bad breath, which subsides after brushing one's teeth or rinsing the mouth with mouthwash. In this case, bad breath may be caused due to consumption of foods like garlic, cheese, fish, etc. Bad breath also occurs when an individual's mouth is dry due to fasting, stress or sleeping overnight.
Another type of halitosis is chronic bad breath. This is when bad breath persists in spite of a person maintaining good oral hygiene. Such bad breath is considered a medical problem. Chronic bad breath is believed to affect thirty percent of all people. Apart from being a medical condition, it can also affect a person's social and professional relationships. Halitosis often leads to increased stress and poor self-esteem.
Home Remedies to get rid of Bad Breath
1. The chewing of mint leaves considerably reduces mouth odor and freshens the breath
2. Brushing teeth after every meal is very helpful for the prevention of bad breath
3. One can gargle with baking soda dissolved in hot water as this helps to clear the tongue.
4. After every meal a person can chew sunflower seeds and then drink a glass of water as this is a very good natural remedy for mouth odor.
5. One can consume yogurt for six weeks in order to cure bad breath permanently.
6. Another natural remedy for bad breath is drinking tea made with fenugreek seeds.
7. The chewing of clove after every meal also removes bad breath
8. Squeezing a lemon in a glass of water and gargling also helps in the removal of unpleasant mouth odor.
9. Having an apple daily also helps to remove bacteria as it purifies the mouth.
10. The chewing of cardamom also reduces odor as its sweet taste acts as a breath refresher. One should avoid mouthwashes that have dyes and alcohol as they only provide temporary relief
Fruits weather in their natural form or as juice work very well to strip the bacteria from your mouth. The acidic content kills the bacteria making it easy to wash away. Pineapple juice is one of the best mouth cleansers as it has a very high acidic level and does a great job. Orange juice, Tomato juice, and Grapefruit juice all work in the same way. Apples on the other hand also have an odor reducing effect in the stomach, not just the mouth. Apples are a great source for the vitamins the body uses for your natural defenses against the bacteria and germs that cause bad breath.
These bad breath home remedies will help those people who want to naturally control their breath all day. Luckily, keeping your breath fresh all day doesn't need to cost a lot of money, nor are home remedies for bad breath cumbersome to carry around. More importantly, the best bad breath remedy is a daily oral hygiene, and visiting your dentist at least twice a year for cleanings.